FACTS AND FAQs for PERSONAL INJURY LAWSUITS
1. WHAT DOES "STATUTE of LIMITATIONS" MEAN?
If you have been injured, you should be aware of a legal doctrine called a "Statute of Limitations." This means you must file a claim or lawsuit within a certain period of time (such as two years from the date of the accident). If you do not file a claim or lawsuit within the specified period of time, you will be prevented from EVER taking legal action.
Consult with an experienced attorney like Mike Asta. He can help you determine when the deadline is for you to file your lawsuit.
Besides the filing deadline, there are other important reasons not to delay in pursuing a personal injury malpractice or discrimination claims. The sooner you hire a lawyer, the sooner the lawyer can begin an investigation and preserve evidence to support your case.
2. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS AS A CLIENT?
1. You are entitled to be treated with courtesy and consideration at all times by your lawyer and the other lawyers and personnel in your lawyer’s office.
2. You are entitled to an attorney capable of handling your legal matter competently and diligently, in accordance with the highest standards of the profession. If you are not satisfied with how your matter is being handled, you have the right to withdraw from the attorney-client relationship at any time (court approval may be required in some matters and your attorney may have a claim against you for the value of services rendered to you up to the point of discharge).
3. You are entitled to your lawyer’s independent professional judgment and undivided loyalty uncompromised by conflicts of interest.
4. You are entitled to be charged a reasonable fee and to have your lawyer explain at the outset how the fee will be computed and the manner and frequency of billing. You are entitled to request and receive a written itemized bill from your attorney at reasonable intervals. You may refuse to enter into any fee arrangement that you find unsatisfactory.
5. You are entitled to have your questions and concerns addressed in a prompt manner and to have your telephone calls returned promptly.
6. You are entitled to be kept informed as to the status of your matter and to request and receive copies of papers. You are entitled to sufficient information to allow you to participate meaningfully in the development of your matter.
7. You are entitled to have your legitimate objectives respected by your attorney, including whether or not to settle your matter (court approval of a settlement is required in some matters).
8. You have the right to privacy in your dealings with your lawyer and to have your secrets and confidences preserved to the extent permitted by law.
9. You are entitled to have your attorney conduct himself or herself ethically in accordance with the Code of Professional Responsibility.
10. You may not be refused representation on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
3. WHAT ABOUT PAYMENT?
The Law Offices of Michael J. Asta charge on a contingency fee basis, so that unless we recover for you, we do not get paid any legal fees. We also front all of the litigation expenses, which are reimbursed when your case settles, or after a trial and judgment. Should you elect to retain the firm, additional questions about legal fees and expenses can be explained in greater detail.
4. CAN I CONSIDER THE INFORMATION IN THIS WEBSITE AS LEGAL ADVICE REGARDING MY SITUATION?
No. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.
The purpose of this Site is to give the visitor a general understanding of the law; not to provide specific advice. While a great deal of care has been taken to provide accurate and current information, the ideas, general principles and conclusions presented at this site may differ depending on local, state and federal laws and regulations and court cases. The law constantly changes and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, state to state, and is subject to varying interpretations. Therefore, the reader is urged to consult professional legal counsel in his or her state and jurisdiction regarding the applicability of any points of law discussed at this Site to any specific problem. This web site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice.
Our cases are handled on a contingency fee basis meaning our firm does not charge a legal fee until we are successful in obtaining compensation for you, our client. Litigation case settles or after a trial and judgment.
Our clients include those injured in construction site accidents and workplace related injuries, victims of car and truck accidents, people injured in slip and fall and those injured in elevator and escalator accidents, wrongful death accidents, dog bites, premises liability accidents and victims of medical malpractice, including children injured by lead poisoning.
Our firm represents injured victims in the courts of New York, New Jersey and federal court. For your convenience we will come to your home or hospital.
Your confidentiality is protected by our office. We abide by the Code of Responsibility of the American Bar Association and all client communications about your case are kept strictly confidential.
The personal injury law firm of Asta & Associates represents clients in all five boroughs of New York City: Manhattan / New York County, Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn / Kings County and the Bronx, as well as Suffolk County, Nassau County / Long Island, Westchester County, Rockland County, upstate New York and New Jersey.
El propósito de este Sitio es dar al visitante una comprensión general de la ley; No proporcionar asesoramiento específico. Aunque se han tomado muchas precauciones para proporcionar información precisa y actualizada, las ideas, los principios generales y las conclusiones presentados en este sitio pueden diferir dependiendo de las leyes y reglamentos locales, estatales y federales y de los casos judiciales. La ley cambia constantemente y varía de jurisdicción a jurisdicción, estado a estado, y está sujeta a interpretaciones variables. Por lo tanto, se insta al lector a consultar a un asesor legal profesional en su estado y jurisdicción con respecto a la aplicabilidad de cualquier punto de ley discutido en este Sitio a cualquier problema específico. Este sitio web no debe utilizarse como sustituto de un asesoramiento jurídico competente. P>
Nuestros casos se manejan sobre una base de honorarios de contingencia, lo que significa que nuestra empresa no cobra una tarifa legal hasta que obtengamos compensación por usted, nuestro cliente. Caso de litigio se resuelve o después de un juicio y juicio. p>
Nuestros clientes incluyen a los heridos en los accidentes del sitio de construcción y las lesiones en el lugar de trabajo, las víctimas de accidentes de automóviles y camiones, las personas lesionadas en resbalones y caídas y los heridos en ascensores y escaleras mecánicas, Víctimas de negligencia médica, incluyendo niños heridos por envenenamiento por plomo. P>
Nuestra firma representa a víctimas heridas en los tribunales de Nueva York, Nueva Jersey y la corte federal. Para su comodidad, vamos a su casa u hospital. P>
Su confidencialidad está protegida por nuestra oficina. Cumplimos con el Código de Responsabilidad de la American Bar Association y todas las comunicaciones del cliente sobre su caso se mantienen estrictamente confidenciales. P>
El bufete de abogados de lesiones personales de Asta & amp; Associates representa a clientes en los cinco condados de la ciudad de Nueva York: Condado de Manhattan / Nueva York, Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn / Condado de Kings y el Bronx, así como Condado de Suffolk, Condado de Nassau / Long Island, Condado de Westchester, Condado de Rockland Nueva York y Nueva Jersey. P>